Monday, January 18, 2010

Stash Diving

I am taking a class to make the above mittens. Nice huh? It's fancy colorwork that I need someone to show me how to do. So I did some stash diving to find some yarn for the mittens. I really didn't think this would be a problem. I have STASH. I own way beyond the necessary amount of yarn needed for a lifetime of knitting. I THOUGHT I had a lot of Cascade 220, but turns out the Cascade I have isn't the right weight. I know that I have other yarn. Turns out....
This is all I came up with. Out of all of the freaking yarn I have, this is what I have that is appropriate for the pattern.
For those of you without a stash, or non-knitters, Stash Diving is when you rummage thru your yarn to come up with what you are looking for. It can be for a pattern, because you are bored, because you KNOW you have that one skein somewhere that would be perfect for blah....
I have now learned there are more pitfalls than necessary when stash diving. First, I ran across a lot of yarn I forgot I have and I now have 17 more projects that need to be done now because I have the perfect yarn for it. I have also realized the enormity of my habit. I have a lot of fucking yarn. This leads to...I don't have enough room for all of my yarn. If only we could take out that wall... shit...that's the bathroom. I think we need that room.
The worst of it though? Through all of those revelations I realized (I am positive and will bet $24 that I am not the only one that has done this) that I have to actually go out and buy more yarn for this project.





No comments: