Friday, December 12, 2008

Lessons Learned


Sometimes you just need to sleep on it. Vent, then sleep. I realize that my previous vent about Karma was unreasonable. Really, I think it is the universe trying to tell me to give in and be nicer and accept people and blah blah blah. So I have decided to give in to my usual advice to others and listen to the universe. Seriously. I'm not kidding.

The reason I came to this conclusion is that I spent 3 labourious days on a baby sweater, not to mention the 2 weeks prior on a lacy baby blanket for a person's baby shower. The blanket was no big deal, but the sweater was a torment from above. Someone wanted me to labor on that sweater, so I did. I ended up with about 3 feet of yarn left over, knotting ends together to make more yarn. I finished in the knick of time. I really thought that the woman would like this sweater and blanket, as she frequently comments nicely on all of my stuff. I don't think she did. She treated my handknits at the shower as if they were hand me downs. But she beamed ferociously at all of the name brands that everyone else bought her. I went to my office and nearly cried. I really did spend a lot of time on that sweater, and I thought it was great. DH was way supportive when I wah wah'd at home, saying she just didn't have good taste. I appreciate that, but still wanted to cry.

So the lesson learned that will be applied is get people what they want. Not what you think they want or even what you think they SHOULD want. My secret santa gal likes candles and knick knacks and such. I found a very pretty candle set at a discount store, I hope she likes it. I'm going into this thing just hoping that I can make someone happy.

And forever on, you only get handknits if you are my mom, my grandma, or my cat. Enough said.

1 comment:

Tracie said...

Okay, I SO have to comment on your post! I am sorry you felt so bad. The sweater is BEAUTIFUL and you did a lovely job! Don't let her bring you down, just remember to NEVER give her another knitted item. Check, off the list! And a poo poo to her.